Monday, January 12, 2004

iPod as Red Box HACK

Saw iBox mentioned over at iPodHACKS. Basically, it's instructions for creating sound files that replicate the sounds generated when coins are dropped to pay for calls in payphones. Kind of retro-cool, but not really a hack (what you could do with it illegally is more of a phreak) and it would only appear to be geared towards Canadian payphones. It all seems a bit of a hassle in the days of the cellphone though. Even if it did work in the USA and I was into doing illegal things, I don't know where my closest payphone is located, and I would imagine it is in some inhospitable locale with absolutely no heat or means of blocking the freezing wind.

Still something c00l to show your 31337 script-kiddie friends, prefaced with "Look what I have set up for if I ever have to go to Canada..."