Friday, January 23, 2004

iPod mini Origami and the Bait & Switch magics of CDW

I've seen this origami piece mentioned before and wasn't going to bother posting about it here until I saw the following from Cory Doctorow of BoingBoing:

Origami mini-iPod from rip-off artists CDW


From CDW comes an origami mini-iPod. A lot lamer than the other origami iPod, which is unsurprising, given that CDW are a bunch of rip-off artists (I once ordered an iPod from them, got a confirmation, and then got a phone-call telling me they were sold out the iPod at the price they'd confirmed, but could sell me one for $200 more).

760K PDF Link


[Boing Boing Blog]

I have to agree that CDW doesn't always work on the up and up. Several years ago I tried to order an iBook from them and after I placed the order and all was set, I received a call telling me they were out of stock (why couldn't their database online note this) of the iBook at that price, but then giving me a sales-pitch for a more expensive unit. This is called a bait and switch and it is a scam. In short, don't buy from CDW.