Thursday, February 12, 2004

How to Convert a Mac iPod to a Windoze iPod

This is pretty cool. I'm copying the entry in its entirety b/c there are no permalinks on the site:

Converting a Mac iPod to a Windows iPod
I recently got a Mac-formatted 20GB iPod as a present, and quickly found out that you can't mount it as a FireWire device on a Windows PC.  After a bit of exploring on Yahoo! Search, I figured out how to convert the iPod to Windows (FAT32) format, but still use it with iTunes on the PowerBook.  Here's how:  First, I made sure to pull any files off of my iPod that I wanted to keep (except for music synchronized from iTunes).  Then, I ran the latest iPod Software Update on a Windows PC with a FireWire port, connected the iPod, and chose the Reformat option.  I had to wait a while - my 20GB took about 40 minutes.  Then, when it was done, I reconnected it to the PowerBook and sat back while iTunes put all of the music back.  Pros: can use iPod as both a music device and an external cross-platform hard drive.  Cons: seems to be a bit slower, and can no longer be used as a bootable Apple disk.
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003

This info courtesy of utilware.