Monday, April 05, 2004

Preliminary Review of the XtremeMac Firewire Car Charger for iPod

I just picked up this car charger for my 2nd-gen 10GB iPod (no dock connector) at the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. Having done a little research, I had eliminated the Monster brand car charger, because an online forum for my car (Honda Element) revealed that the 12v socket in my dash was built to specifically prevent use of a filament cigarette lighter--it's sized as a slightly smaller accessory socket. The Monster charger is a cigarette lighter-sized plug, not an accessory-sized plug, and some people have destroyed the plug attempting to get it back out of the socket (some have even ripped the socket out of the dash). Just as well; the Monster charger was $30, and the XtremeMac charger was only $13. Reports had it that the Belkin charger would fit, but I discovered that the Apple store now only stocks the dock-compatible Belkin charger. I decided to give the XtremeMac product a go after comparing the size of it in the package to the Monster and Belkin (dock-compatible) chargers in their packages.
I was a little wary, as the XtremeMac plug doesn't look as nice as the Belkin. It appears flimsy, unnecessarily long, and not as put together as the Belkin. It fits rather nicely in the socket, though, and so has provided perfect performance over the past few days.
I would provisionally recommend this product as a low-cost, effective solution to charging your iPod in the car, and I'll only retract that opinion should my car deliver a destructive review (admittedly, the car has a tough reputation and would be partially complicit).